Saturday, October 25, 2008

OFFICIAL MALAYSIAN PS3 LAUNCH (as told by Ean)

You probably heard about it from your friends or have read about it in the newspaper, but what does it really feel like to enter the atmosphere of the official launching of the PS3 in Malaysia?

Over here you will finally know what is the 411 on the event. It is one experience not to be forgotten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It all started when Wei Wen told me online :
"Yo yo yo beat boy Ean home dog G! Ya better dig da upcoming PS3 Malaysian launch, ya know what am I sayin'? Before ya blap blap pow that machiga chance yo dog.
Aite?"

Then I replied :
"That's 2 weeks from now, I don't have enough money to get a PS3. I know, I shall start a charity drive, and call it the 'Make a boy's dream come true' PS3 fund."

So it started. Two full weeks of pride-swallowing funds collection, amounting to about a little above RM400. With enough money, the only thing left is the strategy.

To make all this worth while, I must be the one of the first 3 buyers. In case you didn't know, the top 3 buyers will get RM1000 Sony Voucher each, it's that incentive that makes me wanna buy it. The official launching is on a Saturday (20Sept), PLAN A was to start camping on FRIDAY (19Sept) 5pm. But thank God Plan As are meant to fail. Why? I'll tell you next.

Daryl, Gary and LiHer invited me out for dinner on Thursday (18Sept), didn't wanna go but accepted the invite at the end. THANK GOD I ACCEPTED!!!!!!! You see, after dinner, we decided to check out the area in 1U where they will hold the launch. We made friends with some of the organizers there, and I told them about my PLAN A.

They said : "Won't work wan... sure cannot... people sure will camp earlier wan...." Scared the shit out of me. Then comes PLAN B (made up in 10 minutes of discussion).

Mastermind Daryl came up with most of the planning, Gary, LiHer and I brought the supplies, and PLAN B worked out perfectly, and it goes something like this...


Arrive at Heng's place by 0630 hours (Friday, 19 Sept).

Head over to 1U and reach there by 0700 hours.
But upon arrival...
WTH?!? GOT PPL ALREADY?!?
Introducing to the left (2nd buyer) James, and to the right (1st buyer, couples) Joey and his GF.

Officially we are the third, 3rd buyer for the 3rd Sony console PS3. How perfect is that?
The organizers were still rushing to prepare the event area.

Now, it's only a test of patience...
... patience...

4th buyer arrived about an hour later. He was probably telling his friend : "Got 7 ppl in line already, no chance in top 3."


I had to go to college by 1030 hours, Daryl, Gary and LiHer stand in place for me while I was away. But not too long after I returned...
I'd gladly tell you buyers no. 5 to no. 21, but I'm too lazy to pin point them out. But that many were there in the afternoon. It makes me wonder - How would I act if I went with PLAN A?

To add some excitement in our camping trip, we actually set up a tent. AWESOME HUH?!? A tent in 1U shopping complex.
Late in the evening, buyer no. 8 decided to set up camp as well.

We were quite relaxed in the front, walking in and out as if we owned the area. We get to check out the exhibits around the area. Among the other events of the official launch are the game girl competition (some of the girls are decently hot, but mostly not appealing. TOO BAADDD, no pics of them), and the 24-hours gaming marathon.
They started the 24-hour marathon about the same time we started camping.

But eventually when the line grew longer. The buyers at the back were quite pissed, thinking that we actually cut queue. And as the line grew longer, there weren't enough space, so the organizers brought us to another area to make space.

By this time, it was pass midnight. It is at this time that the test of patience became really difficult. Before we moved to this area, we played poker cards, and the board game Risk, which did helped us kill some time, but eventually it died down.
DREADFUL I TELL YA!!! My patience was wearing thin, I wanted to just quit and go home. I couldn't sleep, no appetite to eat, body aches because of sitting and sleeping on hard ground for a long period of time, headaches, boredom, and above all that it was really stuffy at the new area we were placed. There's no air flow at all, we were sweating all over.

Good thing the organizers did plan a free meal for us.

I am grateful to Daryl, Gary, LiHer, and also Jane (who joined us some time midway) during that period of time. Otherwise, I wouldn't know how could withstand it. I mean, I probably can manage on my own without any backup, but the company helped lift the burden 10 fold. PHEW!!!!

Then came the sunlight, it was dusk.
The line grew...

We kept out thing, and packed our bags as the official ceremony was going to start in hours, which also means we get to BUY THE PS3 FINALLY!!!

But the sad part is, while the ceremony was on, we at the front lines, couldn't enjoy the official ceremony, BECAUSE WE WERE BLOODY STUCK BEHIND THE SALES AREA!!!!!!!!! WE CAN'T SEE S***!!!!!!!!!!! And we couldn't leave the area because the organizers said so T_T....
During the ceremony, there were some cosplayers promoting the event. NOW, those girls were hot, STEAMING HOT!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST 5 INCHES FROM THEM AND I COULD MELT!!!!! Ahh... Way better than those in the game girl competition (too bad never take pictures with them).

As you can see, we were sick of the speeches and that sort of crap, we just wanna get our stuff and hit our sacks and drop dead for the next 24 hours. If I just had enough energy to go hit on them cosplayers......


It is time....
Buyers number 1, Joey and GF (sorry, forgot the GF's name....)

Buyer number 2, James Chong

Buyer number 3, WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMGoodNESS!?!?!?!?!?! IT'S ACTUALLY QUITE HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!
Almost dropped it. Was quite tired and fatigue, but gainned enough strenght to lift it up.


After all was said and done, it was a worthwhile experience, not only because I got the high end cutting edge home entertainment system, but mostly because of the whole ordeal, new friends made, the camping trip, it was all too fun.
Hope too see you people some day, maybe we shall camp again when Sony PS4 arrives in Malaysia in the future.


OK. TQ.
God bless.

2 comments:

Helmi said...

Nice, so are you gonna camp for the launch of ps3 slim this 31st October?

weiwen said...

Well, this is a group blog, and since I (the guy from lowyat.net who linked this post)am in New Zealand and my friend(Ean)who wrote the post already has his ps3, the answer would be no. I would sure like to queue though, just for the sake of the experience. I wish I was there last year, especially since I found out about the event and told Ean about it eventhough I'm in New Zealand.

 

  • ~View Guestbook~
  • ~Sign Guestbook~